45 Years Construction Experience
Since 1967, Lyle Charles has been involved with the construction industry in a variety of roles. From his 18-year tenure with Joe Brashears Steel to his 25-year history of owning and managing major subcontracting companies to his 20+ years spent serving as a construction consultant for companies all over the world, Lyle has gained a tremendous amount of experience. That experience runs the gamut from subcontracting work on commercial construction projects such as stadiums, arenas, schools, hospitals, and large shopping malls to consulting work for the construction of bridges, airports, fossil fuel power plants, and more. In addition, Mr. Charles is a construction claims consultant. He has testified in a number of large construction trials, prepared and analyzed numerous construction claims, and has participated in multiple arbitration and private mediation cases.
Seasoned Executive, Coach & Mediator
With a B.A. from Emory University and over 40 years of experience in facilitating significant construction projects, Mr. Charles is also a dedicated business advisor/coach; his business coaching has helped many companies grow and manage large-scale projects. In addition, his interim short-term management services have assisted troubled companies and companies in turnaround situations. Besides offering management and business coaching services, Mr. Charles is a trained arbitrator/mediator and a member of American Arbitration Association (A. A. A.) National Panel for Alternate Dispute Resolution on Large Construction Projects.
Structural & Steel Fabrication Expert
Among his many other skills, Mr. Charles is a structural steel expert and has been for many years. His experience and knowledge encompasses everything from fabricating, detailing, estimating, cleaning, and erecting structural steel to testifying on design issues, business valuations, extended overtime costs, lost revenue and profit calculations, and more. That experience has led to involvement in the construction of a number of stadiums and arenas such as the Olympic Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia, and several NFL stadiums in Tennessee, Florida, and Texas. Mr. Charles often serves as a construction expert witness in large construction trials as well.
Education & Certification
Lyle Charles graduated from internationally respected Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, with a B.A. degree. Since completing his education, his work in the fields of construction, alternative dispute resolution, and construction mediation has earned him membership in the following prestigious professional associations:
- American General Contractor Association (A.G.C.)
- American Subcontractors Association (A. S. A.)
- American Institute of Steel Construction (A. I. S. C.) (Past Regional Advisory Board Member)
- Southern Association of Steel Fabricators (Past President)
- Concrete Reinforcing Steel Institute (C. R. S. I.)
- American Welding Society (A. W. S.)
- American Arbitration Association (A. A. A.) National Panel for Alternate Dispute Resolution on Large Construction Projects)
- Villanova University—Essentials of Project Management (October-November 2008)
- Villanova University—Mastering Project Management (December-January 2009)
- Villanova University—Applied Project Management (February-March 2009)
- Villanova University—Strategic Project Management Professional (May-June 2009)
- Certified as a Project Management Professional (PMP) by the Project Management Institute (PMI) July 2009
- July 1967—September 1985: Joe Brashears Steel, Inc., Albany, Georgia
- September 1985—December 2001: Lyle Charles/Lyle Charles, Inc., Tampa, Florida
- January 1990—January 1992: Tyson Bolt & Supply (co-owner), Tampa, Florida
- January 2002 to August 2008 (retired): Management at E & H Steel Corp., Midland City, Alabama
- August 2008 to Present: Lyle Charles Consulting, Inc.
Specific Experience & Knowledge
- Structural Steel (45 years): estimating, detailing, fabricating, cleaning, painting and erecting of structural steel, light gage metals, miscellaneous and ornamental metals, bar joist, form/roof deck and pre-engineered metal buildings.
- Large Construction Project Management (30 years): organizing, managing and completing significant construction projects.
- Reinforcing Steel (30 Years): estimating, detailing, fabrication and supervision of installing reinforcing steel and bar placing accessories.
- Construction Claims Preparation (23 years): preparation of construction claims and damages.
- Turnaround & Crisis Management (20 years): working with companies in trouble or in turn around situations.
- Claims Analysis (25 years): analyzing of construction claims and damages.
- Qualified as structural steel industry expert and offered opinions on the American Institute of Steel Construction’s (AISC) Code of Standard Practice for Buildings and Bridges, the American Welding Society’s (AWS) D1.1 Welding Code, the Society for Protective Coatings (SSPC) and the National Association of Corrosion Engineers International (NACE), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) pertaining to steel erection matters, the Research Council on Structural Connections’ (RCSC) Specification for Structural Joints Using ASTM A325 or A490 Bolts, the Council of American Structural Engineer’s (CASE) Document 962-D, the Metal Building Manufactures Association (MBMA) Standards, and the Metal Construction Association’s (MCA) Standards.
- Concrete Formwork (30 years): estimating, design, fabrication and supervision of installing concrete formwork.
- Concrete Additives (18 years): pricing and selling of concrete additives, curing compounds, form oils, etc.
- Precast Concrete (12 years): estimating and installing of architectural, precast and prestressed concrete.
- Qualified to offer opinions in construction accident matters on compliance of a structural steel erector to American Institute of Steel Construction’s (AISC) Code of Standard Practice for Buildings and Bridges and structural steel erector’s compliance to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) steel erection code.
- Materials, Tools, Equipment (7 years): buying and selling of industrial and construction bolts and fasteners, small electrical and plumbing supplies, epoxies, small construction tools and equipment (Tyson Bolt).